Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sugar Blows Up

I don't know if you know this or not...but sugar dust explodes.


I love sugar...it makes my life yummy. I remember as a "fitness guy" they would often teach us that refined sugar was bad for us. Ok, I'll --somewhat-- buy it, but man do I love the taste. It makes coffee happy, it makes doughnuts yummy, it makes yogurt bearable, but most of all it makes me smile.


One weird fact though...it's highly combustible when in dust form.


No seriously....


It happened earlier this year. A HUGE explosion at a sugar factory in Ga. Somehow (from what they can tell) sugar dust had accumulated on light fixtures, on conveyor's ...and no one noticed. The concentration got high enough that a small spark (even from static electricity) could set it off...and the BOOM.


People lost their lives.


Last night I went to an incredible engagement party. I truly love those people. They are incredible friends. But talk about amazing dynamics in one room. Crossover stories everywhere. People who have had relationships with each other..that didn't work out. People who had relatives there that were trying to "figure things out". The guy who had given advice about a person he did not know...the person he did not know who wanted to introduce themselves to the "advice" giver...me wanting to protect the person he did not know....the person he gave bad advice to...the beneficiary of that advice...phew...I could go on.


There was more...so much more. The girl who was stung by a yellow-jacket indoors as I was talking to her. The couple (who looked amazing). The ex-girlfriend of another guy..and the girl he has been showing interest in...all of this in the same small room.


Jeez...I could keep going on and on.


Oh yeah....and me. You see...I have had a "bucket list" well before there was a movie. One of my top goals...a Nobel Peace Prize (just a quick insight into my soul) (funny prize by the way...named after the guy who invented dynamite...lol). There are many more things I want to do...like light a match with a 22 cal. round from 50 yards away.....


but one of them...yes one of my list items was offered to me last night,,,,,,,and I had to decline.


It makes me laugh.


You see it was a "very" fine Cigar. Just so you know...in the past I would sometimes take a few puffs on a cigar or pipe when there is a very special occasion (like one time I smoked a pipe with a friend under a flying bald eagle in Alaska). I always link these to a memory.


This was no ordinary cigar though. It was one that I will probably not get another chance to have for another 38 years. But on the way to the party...before I had any idea that the offer would be made. I had mentioned to gretch how it had been years since I have had a "special event" puff. And since I am trying to get health insurance...I can honestly say I am not just a non-smoker...but I haven't even had a puff for a very long time. I couldn't believe I had just said that on the way there...it's not like I talk about that with her...well...ever.


Then my bucket list moment happens...and it was like the topper on the night...Faced with the moment...I had to say no.


At any other time...and any other place...I would have said yes...but I had to decline due to the circumstances of the moment. (((guess I need to stick around a bit longer to have another chance someday :)))).


Overall---What an incredible night.


Oh yeah the sugar part?


Well here's how it relates. Everyone in that room are great people. The make life wonderfully tasteful. They bring flavor to everyone they meet. But last night...there was a-lot of unsettled dust in that room. One spark...one self centered person could have caused the biggest explosion you could imagine. Instead of that though...it went awesome.


Why?


Because... though there could have been some legitimate confrontations...instead...everyone was nice.


They were just nice.


And they gave up their "rights" for the benefit of each other....no one died last night except to themselves.


I guess I was wrong when I saw the dust in the room...


Looks like "someone" has been cleaning the factory....


Looks like the dust was really not as thick as I had thought.


Looks like....well...these friends of mine....they have been refined...and are ready to make the world even sweeter.


Now that brings real hope to the world.



1 comment: